Research & Education
Trimat has provided laboratory research for projects with NC State University & the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) since 2004.
Our past projects include:
- “Effects of higher percentage of recycled asphalt pavement on pavement performance”, NCSU Research
- "Alternative Test Method to Evaluate Moisture Sensitivity" NCSU and Trimat
- “Characterization of Different RAP Sources”, NCDOT ans NCSU
- “Extended testing conditions for the evaluation of water sensitivity of HMA mixes”, ISAP-TC
- "Proposed Approach for Evaluation of Cohesive and Adhesive Properties of Asphalt Mixtures for Determination of Moisture Sensitivity”, TRB 2016
- “Investigation of Primary Causes of Fatigue Cracking in North Carolina,” NCDOT and NCSU
We are continuously involved on future research projects with the NC State, NCDOT and NCHRP.
Trimat provides education for the asphalt industry in North Carolina through online classes and traditional classroom settings. Currently, Trimat professionals teach the following classes:
NCDOT QMS Roadway Class
This online class is offered in cooperation with Stanly Community College in Albemarle, NC. Students who are seeking re-certification in QMS Asphalt Roadway can conveniently attend this online class at their own pace.
SuperPave Mix Design Workshop
The SuperPave mix design workshop is taught at our Raleigh facility and incorporates classroom and laboratory sessions. Its target students include experienced asphalt technicians and design engineers. The class will go through all aspects of the Superpave mix design process including aggregate selection, consensus and source properties, trial blends, PG binders, four increment design, and TSR’s. This class is a prerequisite to the NCDOT Level II QMS and Mix Design Certifications. Trimat conducts classes based on the number of students enrolled. If you are interested in attending please complete the form below.
The 2018 Superpave Mix Design Workshop will be held on January 30th to February 2nd at our new office in RTP.
1 Triangle Drive, RTP, NC 27709
The 2017 Superpave Mix Design workshop was held January 30th through February 2nd, 2017 in Raleigh.
The 2016 Superpave Mix Design Workshop was held January 25th through January 28th, 2016.
2015 Superpave Mix Design Workshop
The 2015 workshop was held the week of March 2nd through the 5th at our lab in Raleigh. This class is usually offered once a year in the winter.